Saturday, December 21, 1985

Farm House Finished (Almost)




The Farm House Flat was finished about mid November and in time for Christmas.  Once the walls had been stripped and painted, it took ongoing designing and work to get it done.  I opted for a warm Shakeresque design for the main room.    I could have bought or built a wood frame couch in keeping with the tables and chairs, but I wanted a plushier  "L" shaped ensemble that would define a sort of sitting enclosure together with the angled stereo-television console.  Layout taping can be seen in foto number 3.   

The stands for the speakers were assembled and painted by me from junk store basis and square metal tubing.  The speakers rested on an not-seen swivel base made (cheaply enough) from bolt and thread.
  

The kitchen was laid out and had a semi-temporary shelf-counter along the "back wall".  Not quite seen was a "recessed/shaded" flourescent light along the top.  I planned for bracketed shelving above the bottom shelf-counter.



The sleeping alcove was done in barracks motif.   After much pondering, a queen or a double sized bed was not practical in the space, so the only alternative was a "dorm-sized twin"   I had the metal folding bunks I had got in San Francisco but they were only 30" wide, so I looked for and found a US Navy 36" in twin.  It was a good deal, actually.  


 
I wanted an office space that would not make for permanent clutter in main room.  That meant  converting the closet into a desk space, which in turn meant finding an armoir for daily work and casual wear.   (The closet off the main room was used for suits and other storage.)   San Diego abounded in surplus and salvage stores.  I bought the locker at one of them and spent about a week sanding, priming and repainting.  

I never got around to surfacing the alcove desk.  I spent most of the ensuing time trying to work up a design for the fold out queen size couch in the main room or (in the alternative) a "pull out" twin-to-queen bed for the alcove (the designs for which can be seen in Kieran's Art.)

===========

These pictures were taken after Christmas and after Marguerite left, probably on the 29th or the last day of the year.